OET (the Occupational English Test) – the English language test for healthcare professionals.
Now available in Nigeria
OET is a healthcare-specific English language test. It assesses the language proficiency of healthcare professionals looking to register and practise in an English-speaking environment.
Is OET the right test for me?
OET tests internationally trained healthcare professionals from the following 12 professions:
|Speech Pathology||Physiotherapy||Veterinary Science
Why should I take OET?
- It’s the only English language test that’s specifically for healthcare professionals.
- OET test materials reflect real healthcare scenarios so you’ll know what to expect and feel more confident on test day.
- While preparing for OET you’ll be learning exactly the kind of language you’ll need for success at work.
- OET is recognised as proof of English proficiency by healthcare regulators in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, Namibia, Singapore and Malta.Find out who recognises OET.
- OET is also accepted for visa and immigration purposes in Australia and New Zealand.
- It’s easy to prepare for the test using OET’s onlinePreparation Portal, which includes many hours’ worth of free practice resources.
What’s in the test?
OET covers all four language skills (Writing, Speaking, Reading and Listening), with an emphasis on communication in a healthcare environment.
|Writing a profession-specific letter of referral or discharge; or a letter to inform or advise a patient/ carer/ group||Role-plays with an interlocutor who plays the part of a patient/ relative/ carer.||Completion of a health-related summary paragraph and multiple-choice questions on a longer health-related text.||Note-taking on a recorded professional consultation and a range of questions on a health-related talk.|
Where and when can I take OET?
OET is available every month in more than 40 countries. In Nigeria, you can take OET at International House Trust Assessment in Lagos.
For the full list of OET test dates and venues, see here.
How do I apply for OET?
It’s easy! You apply for OET by competing the registration form and making payment into NSS Zenith Bank Account No – 2000889599
When and how will I receive my results?
Your results will be released approximately 2 weeks after the test. Log in to your secure online profile to see them.
How is OET scored?
You will receive a numerical score for each of the four sub-tests (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking), ranging from 0 to 500 in 10-point increments (e.g. 350, 360, 370…) The numerical scores will be mapped to a separate letter grade, ranging from A (highest) to E (lowest). There is no overall grade for OET.